Research and Development Scientist, Molecular Immunology
Exagen is a patient-focused and discovery-driven life sciences company dedicated to transforming the care continuum for patients suffering from debilitating and chronic autoimmune diseases. Our goal is to enable rheumatologists to improve care for patients through the differential diagnosis, prognosis, and monitoring of complex autoimmune and autoimmune-related diseases, including lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. By leveraging our proprietary Cell-Bound Complement Activation Products, or CB-CAPs, technology, we help get to the real cause of a patient’s symptoms and guide their journey to improved health.
About the Opportunity
As a Research and Development Scientist, Molecular Immunology, you will perform the development of new assays for diagnostics and research projects, from inception through planning and transfer to the clinical lab.
- Research literature for emerging biomarkers and perform scientific diligence.
- Supervise and assist with the development, optimization and validation of new diagnostic assays.
- Participate in new technology evaluations.
- Collaborate with other members of the scientific staff within and outside the R&D group, including academic collaborators, external consultants, and scientists.
- Complete all aspects of laboratory activities, for example sample preparation, data acquisition and analysis.
- Independently design, perform data analysis and troubleshoot technical issues relating to assay development and quality.
- Maintain accurate and complete records.
- Write standard operating procedures (SOPs) and other documents including validation reports under CLIA/CAP guidelines.
- Comply with all company SOPs and safety standards.
- Write scientific publications in peer reviewed journals and present at conferences in collaboration with academic collaborators.
- Perform other related duties as needed and required by supervisors.
- Maintain confidentiality of customer and patient information.
- Ph.D. degree in immunology, molecular biology, biochemistry or related field.
- Bioinformatics skills as relating to genomics and GE analysis.
- Track record of publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Must have good communication skills.
- Excellent time- and project management.
- 3+ years industry experience.
- Laboratory skills must include molecular methods incl. hands on NGS experience and gene expression profiling. Flow cytometry experience.
- Knowledge of autoimmune diseases, in particular lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
Note: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, stand and talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, ability to adjust focus and viewing computer period monitors for an extended of time.
Note: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Standard lab environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Interaction with laboratory equipment, samples, supplies, and laboratory personnel may be required whereby appropriate precautions are to be taken per the Company’s Safety and Injury, Illness and Prevention Plans.
Competitive compensation packages | Generous PTO + 10 holidays to recharge & refuel | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, & Dependent Care| 401(k) retirement savings plan match | Life Insurance & Disability
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Exagen is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.